Shauri Moyo YMCA
SHAURI MOYO YMCA BRANCH
Shauri Moyo YMCA Branch was founded in 1952 focusing in its response to the needs of young people, the community and the emerging challenges of the country. This has been achieved by reaffirming the spiritual mission of the organization, in fostering and defending the dignity, freedom and advancement of the human person. This has been done through concrete initiatives such as facilitation of recreation and wellness facilities, early childhood education, catering and accommodation facilities, vocational trainings and youth empowering activities as well. These are some of the initiatives that have had a positive impact on the lives of the surrounding communities.
The Shauri Moyo YMCA Branch is National known to have harnessed talent in sports and other recreation activities. This has been achieved by this organization hosting tournaments for sports such as basketball, table tennis, volleyball, karate, badminton, soccer and many others. From these tournaments we have been able to showcase the hidden talents within young people hence selling our objectives to the entire community.
The YMCA is a nonprofit making organization in the service of others especially the youth. The Branch aims at uniting youth in order to achieve its objectives as enlisted below:-
- Provision of a wide variety of recreational activities for youth
- Development of job creation programmes
- Programming arts such as Drama and Dance
- Leadership and Mentorship programmes – “From Subjects to Citizens”
- Environmental Conservation Activities
- Reproductive Health programmes
- Christian Emphasis
- Entrepreneurship activities
- Outdoor activities like hikes and outings
- Hi ‘Y’ Clubs in schools
Shauri Moyo YMCA primary school is one of the success projects of the branch that started as an Early Childhood Development Programme in early 2003; the programme includes feeding and learning, Baby class, Nursery and Pre-Unit. As a result of unfolding need of the community served, the Branch introduced Primary Education beginning 2005 to give it a complete child education programme.
The following are some of the Shauri Moyo YMCA Primary School successes since inception:
- The rapid growth of the school evidenced by high enrollment.
- Proper management structure.
- Low staff turnover.
- Confidence of the parents towards the school
- Good security.
- Self sustainability
- Excellent performance hence promoting enrollment.
- Co-operation of parents e.g. in prompt school fees payment and effective communication.
- Support of other units like YMCA restaurant through feeding programme.
- Introduction of school P.E attire bearing YMCA logo (marketing initiative)
CHANCE is a group of youths, volunteers at the YMCA- Shauri Moyo Branch; who are willing to go an extra mile to make this world is a better place. We yearn to make a positive difference in our community. Our main focus is to aid orphans and vulnerable children in and around the country.
We do this by mobilizing the community (working hand in hand) to address the plight of those we seek to empower and encourage. We bridge the help to the helper who forwards it to the ‘helped’. The Word of God is our backbone!
CHANCE comprises of young talented elites who have or practice different professions. For example: computer science/ information and technology, public relation, clinical officers, community development and social workers, refrigeration and air conditioning expert, motivational speakers and peer educators, artists and financial experts.
With a variety of abilities, individuals from different backgrounds and being part of a worldwide organization, CHANCE is highly capable and strategically equipped to carry out any community project and complete what they start with zeal and efficiency.
Youth outdoor activities
Hi ‘Y’ Club School Programme